NELSON HENRICKS was born in Bow Island, Alberta and is a graduate of the Alberta College of Art (1986). He moved to Montréal in 1991, where he received a BFA from Concordia University (1994). He has taught art history and video production at Concordia University, McGill University, UQAM and Université de Montréal. An artist, writer, curator and musician, Henricks is best known for his videotapes and video installations, which have been exhibited worldwide. A focus on his work was presented at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, as part of the Video Viewpoints series in 2000. His writings have been published in exhibition catalogues, magazines, and in several anthologies. Henricks was the recipient of the Bell Canada Award in Video Art in 2002 and received the Board of Govenors’ Alumni Award of Excellence from the Alberta College of Art and Design in 2005. A mid-career retrospective of his work was presented at the Leonard and Bina Ellen Gallery in Montréal in 2010. Henricks’ work is in the collections of the National Gallery of Canada, the Museum of Modern Art (New York), the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts, the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, the Leonard and Bina Ellen Gallery, the National Bank of Canada, and the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal. In 2015 he was the laureate of the Giverny Capital Prize. Henricks is currently completing a PhD at Université du Québec à Montréal.
CURRICULUM VITAE (SELECTED EXHIBITIONS)
Born: Bow Island, Alberta, June 22, 1963
Residence: Montréal, Québec
Education: 1982-86, Alberta College of Art, Calgary, Alberta, Diploma in Visual Arts
1991-94, Concordia University, B.F.A. Cinema
- Life Session, March 25 – April 23, 2016, Paul Petro Contemporary Art, Toronto, Ontario
- A Lecture on Art, April 30 – June 30, 2015, Dazibao, Montréal, Québec
- Endless Paper, March 19 to April 25, Galerie Pierre-François Ouellette, Montréal, Québec
- Satellite, January 9 – March 15 2014, Foreman Art Gallery, Bishop’s University, Sherbrooke, Québec
- 5 sur 5, Les fictions polymorphes, video, March 5 – 7 2014, Vidéographe / Cinémathèque Québécoise, Montréal, Québec
- Nelson Henricks – Obras en vidéo, video, November 17, 2011, Museo de Arte Moderno/Alianza Francesco de Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Time Will Have Passed, mid-career retrospective, September 1 – October 16, 2010, Leonard and Bina Ellen Gallery, Montréal, Québec
- The Sirens (Fragments), photos and video, May 4 – 16, 2010, Paul Petro Special Projects Space, Toronto, Ontario
- Nelson Henricks, installation, November 7 – December 19 2009, Vox Image Contemporaine, Montréal, Québec
- Nelson Henricks, installation, Galleria Gianluca Collica, April 27 – 28 2009, Catania, Sicily; Francesco Pantaleone Arte Contemporanea, April 28 2009, Palermo, Sicily
- Map of the City, installation, January 16 – February 14 2009, Trinity Square Video, Toronto, Ontario
- The Sirens, installation, March 13 – April 12 2008. Gallery 44, Toronto, Ontario
- Map of the City, installation, PAVED Art, August 1- 23, 2008, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Map of the City, installation, February 29 – March 30 2008, articule Gallery, Montréal, Québec
- Map of the City, installation, June 28 – August 25 2007, Art Gallery of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
- Satellite, outdoor video projection, April 20-21, May 3-4 2007, Saw Video, Ottawa, Ontario
- Satellite, installation, November 25 – December 23 2005, The New Gallery, Calgary, Alberta
- Satellite, installation, May 17 – August 17 2004, Musée des beaux-arts du Montréal, Montréal, Québec
- Happy Hour, installation, November 8 – December 13 2003, Galerie B-312, Montréal, Québec
- Substance + Planetarium, photos and video, February 15 to March 15, 2003, Galerie Graff, Montréal, Québec
- Nelson Henricks, solo programme, October 10 -20, 2002, Festival International Nouveau Cinéma Nouveaux Médias Montréal, Montréal, Québec
- Fuzzy Face, installation, June 13 – August 4, 2002, Ottawa Art Gallery, Ottawa, Ontario
- Nelson Henricks, lecture/screening, November 3, 2001, Museum of Fine Arts, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Fuzzy Face, installation, August 3 – September 1, 2001, Helen Pitt Gallery, Vancouver, B.C
- Fuzzy Face, installation, March 2 – April 7, 2001, Optica, Montréal, Québec
- Planetarium, video, February 21 – March 17, 2001, YYZ Artist’s Outlet, Toronto, Ontario
- Video Viewpoints, lecture/screening, January 24 2000, Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA
- Nelson Henricks, artist residency, April 15-24 / May 13-22, 1998, La Bande Vidéo, Québec, Québec
- Je vais vous raconter une histoire de fantômes : Films et videos de Nelson Henricks, video, April 6 – 23, 1995, Galerie OBORO, Montréal, Québec
- Papier 16, photos, April 22 – 24, Paul Petro Contemporary Art, Montréal, Québec
- Motion. Montréal/Genève, video, March 1 – April 9, Galerie de L’UQAM, Montréal, Québec
- Endless Paper, video installation, March 19 – April 25, Pierre-François Ouellette art contemporain, Montréal, Québec
- Papier 15, photos, April 24-26, Paul Petro Contemporary Art – Booth 111, Montréal, Québec
- Made in Calgary: The 1990s, video, February 8 – May 4, Glenbow Museum, Calgary, Alberta.
- Mise à l’épreuve, screening, March 18, Chantier Libres 4/Les ateliers Jean-Brillant, Montréal, Québec
- 40 ans d’art video au Québec, screening, March 12-16, Cinémathèque Québécoise, Montréal, Québec
- Who Runs May Read, vidéo, May 1, South London Gallery, London, England
- Interactions, video installation, August30 – October 27, Leonard & Bina Ellen Gallery, Montréal, Québec
- Background://, video installation, January 20 – February 13, Remont Gallery, Belgrade, Serbia
- Like-Minded, video installation, January 25 – March 25, Plug-In ICA, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- PRIM : Les années 2000, video, April 11, Cinémathèque Québécoise, Montréal, Québec
- The Québec Triennal 2011, video installation, October 7, 2011 – February 3, 2012, Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, Québec
- Chimère/Shimmer, video, November 11, 2010 – April 3, 2011, Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, Québec
- CUE: Artists’ Videos, video, January 23 – March 21, Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Revelaciones, installation, June 17 – 19, 2010, Gladstone Hotel / ON.Fire 2010, Toronto, Ontario
- Time as Activity, installation, September 12 to November 7, Netwerk, Aalst, Belgium.
- European Media Arts Festival, video, April 22 – 26, Osnabrück, Germany.
- YYZXXX, video, May 2 – June 13, YYZ Artist’s Outlet, Toronto, Ontario.
- L’oreille dans l’oeil/The Hearing Eye, video installation, May 2 – June 1, Oeil de poisson, Québec, Québec
- 26e Festival international du film sur l’art, video, March 6-16, Montréal, Québec
- Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois, video, February 14 – 24, Cinémathèque québécoise, Montréal, Québec
- L’oreille dans l’oeil/The Hearing Eye, video installation, March 1 – April 7, Galerie Clark, Montréal, Québec; April 20 – May 19, Gallery 101, Ottawa, Ontario
- Capsule – Mémoire, film installation, March 8 – April 29, Cinémathèque Québécoise, Montréal, Québec
- Invideo 2006, video, November 7-11, Spazio Oberdan, Milan, Italy
- Queer Plunder, installation, November 17, 2006 – January 14, 2007, Dunlop Art Gallery, Regina, Saskatchewan
- Aquérir pour grandir, video, November 22, 2006 – April 15, 2007, Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, Québec
- Canada Dreaming, video, March 4-30, Wolfsburg Kunstverein, Wolfsburg, Germany
- Split Decisions, video, November 26 – January 13, Vtape, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Stuttgarter Filmwinter, video, January 13-16, Stuttgart, Germany
- Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois, video, February 18-26, Cinémathèque québécoise, Montréal, Québec, Canada
- Instants Vidéo Festival, video, November 20-December 6, Manosque, France
- Artronica, video, September 30 – October 12, Biblioteca Luis Angel Arango y Teatro Colon, Bogota. Colombia
- Invideo 2004, video, November 10 – 14, Milan, Italy
- Living Room, video, June 3 – July 3, Coldcreation Gallery, Barcelona, Spain
- Stealing to Subvert, video, April 30 – May 4, Wroclaw Media Art Biennal, Wroclaw, Poland
- UK/Canadian Film & Video Exchange, video, 10 April – 13 April, South London Art Gallery, London, England
- Signal + Noise 03, video, March 27 – 30, Video In, Vancouver, B.C.
- Media City Seoul, installation, September 26 – November 24, Seoul Museum of Art, Seoul, Korea
- Video Videopoints: A Selection from the Last Decade, video, May 10, Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Transmediale 01, video, December, Berlin, Germany
- Impakt 2001, video, October 2-7, Centraal Museum, Utrecht, Holland
- Festival Video Estavar-Llivia, video, July 26-29, Estavar, France
- New York Video Festival, video, July 13-19, New York, New York, U.S.A.
- L’Immagine Leggera, video, March 21-29, Palermo, Sicily.
- Pandaemonium, video, March 1-9, LUX, London, England.
- Peepshow, video, July 29, Melbourne International Film Festival; July 30, Brisbane International Film Festival; August 11, Chauvel Cinemas, Sydney; August 24, Media Resource Centre, Adelaide, Australia.
- Stuttgarter Filmwinter, video, January 13-16, Stuttgart, Germany
- European Media Arts Festival 2000, video, May 3-7, Osnabrück, Germany
- Festival de Sofia, video, Sofia, Poland
- Il Muestro Internacional de Vidéo Independiente: OVNI 1999, video, May 18-23, Espacio Cultural El Tanque, Tenerife, Canary Islands
- In A Different Light, installation, October 23 to November 21, Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow
- IMAGES 1999, video, April 21 – May 1, Toronto, Ontario
- VideoLisboa, video, January 20-24 , Clube Português de Artes e Ideias, Lisbon, Portugal
- 17e Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois, video, February 11-17, Cinéma ONF, Montréal, Québec
- 14e Videoformes, video, March 16-21, Clermont-Ferrand, France
- MuuMediaFestival, video, October 9-18, Kiaasma Museum of Contemporary Art, Helsinki, Finland
- Dummies, video, November 24, De Appel, Amsterdam, Holland
- Fragile Electrons: 20 Years of Collecting Video Art, video, April 17-June 7, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
- 16e Rendez-vous du cinéma québecois, video, February 19-28, Cinéma ONF, Montréal, Québec
- Biennale de l’image de Paris: Very Short Spaces of Time, video, May 12 – July 12, Ecole nationale superieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris, France
- 44th International Short Film Festival, video, April 23-28, Oberhausen, Germany
- Digital Video Wall, video presented as part of a series organized by the Museum of Modern Art and presented at Rockefeller Center, New York, U.S.A.
- Microwave Festival ’97, video, December 12-14, Videotage, Hong Kong.
- Tercera Bienal de Video y Artes Electronicas, video, October 6-11, Museo de arte Contemporano, Santiago, Chile.
- 15th World Wide Video Festival, video, September 12-17, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, Holland.
- Pandaemonium, video, March 7-14, ICA, London, England
- 11th Fringe Film and Video Festival, video, April 16 – 21, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Internationaler Kunstpreis, video broadcast on Südwest 3 and ORT 2, presented October 24 – November 13 by Zentrum für Medientechnologie, Karlsruhe, Germany
- other real stories / d’autres fictions, photo project, Fotofeis, Scotland
- Identity Dispersions: Recent Videos from Québec, video, January 25 – March 26, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario
- New Canadian Video, video, June 3 – September 6, Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA
- The Fruit Machine, video and film, November 25 and December 7, Cinematheque Ontario, Toronto
- American Film Institute 12th National Video Festival, video, February 4 – 7, American Film Institute Campus, Los Angeles, California, USA
- 12e Mondiale de la Vidéo, video, Nov 10-15, Centre Culturel Jacques Franck, Brussels, Belgium
- Some New Alberta Art, video, June 28 – August 28, The Edmonton Art Gallery, Edmonton, Alberta
- 4e Semaine Internationale de la vidéo, video, November 4 – 9, St – Gervais, Geneva, Switzerland
- Noise Under the Tongue, video and performance, Feb 2-Mar 4, Walter Phillips Gallery, Banff, Alberta
- Video From the South, video, December 2 – January 28, Glenbow Museum, Calgary, Alberta
- Infermental 9: Herz von Europa, touring video package, February 1989 – March 1990
- Moving Images II, video broadcast, T.V. Ontario, Ontario
- Elemental Instincts: A Matter of Course, video and performance, October 14-November 20, Nickle Arts Museum, Calgary, Alberta
- Prairie Video, video, December 13, 1987, Centre for Art Tapes, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Plains Canada Film and Video Festival, video, September 10 – 12, Video Pool, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Bell Canada Prize, 2002
- Board of Governors’ Alumni Award of Excellence, Alberta College of Art and Design, 2005
- The Walter Phillips Gallery, Banff, Alberta
- Museum of Modern Art, New York.
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa.
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montréal, Québec
- Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, Québec
- The Leonard and Bina Ellen Gallery, Montréal, Québec
- National Bank of Canada, Montréal, Québec
- Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, Québec
- Vidéographe, Montréal
- V TAPE, Toronto
- LUX, London, England
- Heure Exquise!, Lille, France
- Video Data Bank, Chicago
AS A CURATOR
- Independent Film and Video Alliance AGM Showcase, Co-curator, 1991
- Video from Western Canada, Articule, Montréal, May 1992
- Steve Reinke, Oboro, Montréal, December, 1992
- It Came From Quebec, Pleasure Dome, Toronto, February, 1996
- Video from Hungary, Optica, Montréal, March, 1996
- Video London, Montreal Festival of Cinema and New Media, June, 1997
- American Psycho(drama), for Video Data Bank. Presented worldwide, 1998-2000
- Cane CapoVolto, presented at PleasureDome (Toronto), 1999 and Articule (Montréal), 2000
- Sense Machines, presented during Uncommon Senses, Concordia University, 2000
- Welcome to the Neighbourhood, presented as part of the rePLACE series organized by V Tape, 2001. Presented at Art System, Toronto, March, 2001
- Minor Star, presented as part of Tranz<—>Tech: Toronto Media Art Biennial, October, 2001
- Here Now, Ed Video 25th Anniversary compilation, Guelph, Ontario, 2001
- Co-curator of Oasis, Saidye Bronfman Centre, Montréal, Quebec, Summer, 2001
- Words/Without Words, InVideo, Milan, Italy, November, 2002
- Pipeline, Em/Media, Calgary, November, 2005
EDITED AND WRITTEN BY NELSON HENRICKS
- Henricks, Nelson & Reinke, S. By the Skin of Their Tongues, YYZ Books, Toronto, Ontario, 1997.
- Henricks, Nelson. Cigarettes, Coffee and Dep Wine, FUSE Magazine, Volume 21, Number 3. Summer 1998, pp. 17-23.
- Henricks, Nelson. 4 Zones of Emergence and Cane Capovolto: An Introduction to the Group, TRANZ <—> TECH: Toronto International Video Art Biennal, Trinity Square Video/V Tape/Pleasure Dome/VVV, 1999. pp 13-17.
- Henricks, Nelson. 4 Zones of Emergence, text accompanying exhibition Zones d’emergence, Perte de Signal, 1999.
- Henricks, Nelson. Canadian Fall, text accompanying exhibition Canadian Fall exhibition, organized by the Glasgow Film and Video Workshop, Fall, 1999.
- Henricks, Nelson. 4 texts about light, PUBLIC 18, Public Access, Toronto, 1999. pp. 143-146.
- Henricks, Nelson. American Psycho(drama): Sigmund Freud vs. Henry Ford, from LUX: A Decade of Artists’ Film and Video, edited by Steve Reinke and Tom Taylor, Toronto: YYZ Books, 2000. pp. 45-54.
- Henricks, Nelson. Life in Music, from COIL 9/10 London: Proboscis, 2000.
- Henricks, Nelson. Les vrais mensonges ou l’importance d’être Colin from ESSE Arts + Opinions, Montréal: Esse, Numéro 46, automne 2002. pp. 32-40.
- Henricks, Nelson. Words/Without Words, text accompanying Words/Without Words program, InVideo 2002, Milan: A+G Edizioni, 2002.
- Henricks, Nelson. Tom Sherman: Before and After the I-Bomb, review published in Parachute 109, Montréal: Parachute, January-March 2003. pp. 140-141.
- Henricks, Nelson. Colleen Gray: Gray Matter, from Caught in the Act: An Anthology of Performance Art by Canadian Women, edited by Tanya Mars and Johanna Householder, Toronto: YYZ Books, 2004. pp. 250-250.
- Henricks, Nelson. Shari Hatt: Dogs, catalogue essay for Shari Hatt: Dogs, Lethbridge: Southern Alberta Art Gallery, 2004. pp. 10-61.
- Henricks, Nelson. The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game, from Ironic to Iconic: The Performance Works of Tanya Mars, Toronto: Fado Performance Inc., 2008. pp. 183-186.
- Henricks, Nelson. Perte de Signal: An Introduction to the Group, from Perte de Signal: Ten Years of Digital Creation, Montréal: Perte de Signal, 2008. pp. 94-106.
- Henricks, Nelson. Steve Reinke – The Hundred Videos, from SWITCH, Toronto: The Power Plant, Issue 3, Spring, 2010. pp. 44-45.